First Travel Solutions (FTS) were awarded the travel and transport contract to support the sponsors and the Football Association of Wales in delivering a world class event in the shape of the UEFA Champions League final.
The UEFA Champions League final took place on Saturday 3rd June at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff and the remit for FTS was wide and varied.
The UEFA Champions League final has been described as the biggest sporting event in the world this year, with thousands of Spanish and Italian football fans travelling to Cardiff for the final. It was therefore going to be a significant challenge for the team at FTS.
The team set about establishing the number of staff they would need to support this high profile event as well as the sheer volume of vehicles that would need to be recruited along with drivers.
Months of preparation were undertaken by FTS to ensure transport support on a multitude of different levels. This included rail support services between Bristol and Cardiff, coach transfers for visiting fans from Bristol, Birmingham and Cardiff airports, Park & Ride services for those working at the match and VIP coaches and transport for the main sponsors.
Thanks to a consolidated team effort by FTS the transport and travel arrangements for this high profile event were exemplary.
- FTS moved approximately 16,000 spectators from both Bristol and Cardiff airports to a dedicated fans area
- Over 150 vehicles supported Great Western Railway throughout the day on the rail network
- FTS operated 50 vehicles on a shuttle service for the woman's final, transporting 2,500 fans
- FTS ran a Park & Ride service from the port for 4 days and on the day of the final moved over 6,000 people to and from the port to the event
- A number of VIP coaches were provided for Juventus friends, family and staff, including the President of Fiat
- FTS provided a workforce shuttle service throughout the day of the final to move the Football Association of Wales workforce who were supporting the event